I like Paul Foot a great deal, although I suspect I am one of the people who
does the whole "plague on both your houses" thing. What I struggle with is
why you are not allowed to criticise Israel's actions without (quite often)
being labelled an anti-semite. If I criticise the Israeli government's
decisions, it is not a criticism of every Jewish person in the world.....

Having said that, I'm not sure it is a simple as Paul Foot would have as
believe - if Israel withdrew, would all the terrorist attacks stop? Or would
there still be a hardcore minority of fanatics pursuing their own route to
martyrdom? As we've seen in Northern Ireland, even a peace process which has
met many demands on both sides has not halted the violence. Will the Real
IRA ever stop attacking protestants, even in a (far-off) united Ireland? And
vice versa for the Loyalist paramilitaries......I know it's a different
political situation, but I sometimes feel that terrorists sometimes have
terrorism as their raison d'etre, and that this can replace their original
aims and demands as time goes on.

I don't know if that made any sense at all. I'm totalyy befuddled about what
to think about it all.....a plague on both their houses, then....

Nick Temple