> Jill, I for one am very very glad that the catholic church
> is of little influence in Australian politics. Or any
> church, I'd make the state religion aetheism, given a
> choice. I'd change the anti-discrimination act to remove the
> exemption for religious grounds as well. We shouldnt be
> legislating any policy based on interpretations of someone's
> invisible friend. The idea of the church being above the
> state is as outmoded as the idea of a monarchy.
>
> I can just see it. All the aboriginals back on catholic
> missions, the gays in prison, women oppressed, child labour,
> no abortions, no euthanasia, etc etc

Josie,

You misunderstand me. I was musing on the ironies that Alison was pointing out.
I'm ex-Presbyterian and my partner ex-Catholic who would be refused communion
(or mass or whatever it is) by the RC Archbishop of Sydney, George Pell who,
when archbisop of Melbourne, refused same to mothers of gay men who wore a
rainbow sash in church while at the same time surrounding himself with an inner
coterie of gay male priests. I object to having my tax dollars support church
schools which seem to have turned a blind eye to abuse of children in many and
various ways. I too agree with you about anti-discrim. etc etc etc

But that wasn't the point. I also know a lot of Christians whose views are
similar to mine, in fact even more 'out there' at times, and if they can say
those things that must be said, as Alison outlined, then I'm pragmatic enough
to applaud those efforts. It doesn't mean I want them to bring back the
inquisition (our methods are fear and surprise, etc).

Best,
Jill