Is violence generated by imperialism ever _not_ vicious, uncaring &c?
("Healthy and progressive culture" gives me a mental picture of naked
vegetarian men cavorting in rivers, one of the stranger aspects of
Nazism.)  As for Shakespeare - well, there are many Shakespeares.  As
I said, read Jan Kott, who talks about these political aspects in a
most insightful and unreductive way: and most refreshingly, talks of
his work in terms of theatre and not of literature.

The concept of "human rights" as we understand it didn't exist in
those times; I wonder how useful it is to talk about it that way.
The whole business of the long bow men btw is fascinating.  The
French didn't have the culture of archery to train such weapons (they
were the contemporary equivalent of nuclear weapons) - in England
they started at five years old, and so developed the extraordinary
physique needed to draw back the bow.  Armour was no protection
against the arrows.

But to return to some kind of point: is a writer required to be moral
and political?  Or is she required merely to be acutely conscious of
morality and politics, as problems rather than fixed positions?

Best

--

Alison Croggon
Home page