                          FRANZ ON THE ATTACK

I needed a job so applied for a position of executioner at one of the
agencies downtown.

My first client was a frantic kid, probably a bohemian of some sort,
a real beatnik.  I placed the knife directly under the heart.  We
both waited a fraction of a second, then went all the way to the hilt
with it.

Since I'd never done this sort of thing before, an unease welled up
within me.  I returned to my apartment.  I recalled that each client
was supposed to be placed in a sack, so that our men could cart them
to the depository easily.  Well, I thought, maybe someone else will
do it, though on a new job one doesn't like to get off on a bad foot
due to forgetfulness.

I heard at the office the next morning that the kid had been sacked
properly.  My boss, a man with enormous bald head, promiment jowls
and looping pipe, was proceeding down the aisle.  I caught him from
the corner of his eye by mistake.  He said, "Don't worry, you did
fine, a strong first outing.  The sack?  I knew you'd be worrying
about that.  We all have our jitters.  Here, read this.  You see, our
purposes aren't nasty entirely."  He dropped a small diary on my
desk.  My client had written:

                Must see that first silver light,
                                                hang ten,
                And go for the deep blue!

He really did want to exit life!  As I read on, a girl friend who had
been involved with these same psychodynamical issues was mentioned.
Perhaps, I'd meet her!

But, as I sat before my desk mirror, lines of fatigue, age and evil
started to appear on my face, and no matter what facial exercises or
self-massages to the temples I performed, nothing could ease and
erase these marks and seals.  I tried to smile, and succeeded!  But
the smile was of a small weasel-like animal,  and only its teeth had
any power of expression.