my experiences of literature haven't all been so negative.  there are cynical manipulators in all walks of life, literature has more prestige than some others, and only in the eyes of a narrow elite.  cut the Arts Council out if the experience has been so bad, if you need them then move into another genre, write novels.  I learnt that a slight shift in emphasis can clear up many problems, some of them created by moi, of course.