Hi, I was talking about the contrast between a writer like Michael Hofmann, who is all too aware of convention and literature and someone as refreshing as Fallon, or Kavanagh, or even Yeats, who was admittedly, much more cosmopolitan than the others mentioned.  That's what I thought you meant?  Ireland has either teetered backwards upon itself in a self-absorbed but occassionally useful parochialism, but mostly Irish writers have looked to the Continent, and this is when Irish writing is at its best - when the best elements of the parochial mix with more sophisticated patterns -so ,we have Joyce, Beckett - I love their work, it goes beyond mere appreciation of literature,

PM