I think I read some Byron a long time ago, but didn't find it very interesting, I should read DJ though.  Was he a reasonable poet, famous for the myths, and not the reality - a horrible, futile death in a war that really decided very little - his copious lovers - do people really have such tedious love lives that they have to live vicariously off the amorous adventures of a long dead - let's face it - aristo?  A dark man in a cloak, sometimes depicted in a kind of turban - really quite theatrical and ridiculous.  The women who sent him locks of their hair - would they not have been better pursuing some flesh and blood lover - is this analogous to those modern cricketers who receive pairs of knickers in the post?  Its all a bit pathetic, really, so why are (some) people fascinated by it?  Why do people think that fame has some kind of special lure, a mystique - we know that lots of people who are contemporaneously famous -! are often utterly mediocre, Byron was too.  He wasn't Shakespeare, and nor was he.