>>All we are ending up with is a culture that worships Money and nothing else.
>
>As a 'culture' America is not like this.  Yes, it's the wealthiest, it's
>materially driven and it sucks the energy of the world like a greedy
>sleeper taking all the blanket, but you could heed you're own words and
>realise that a 'culture' is its people, as well as their mass habits.
>
>It's still a pretty god-fearing country, for one.

I'm not going to disagree with uch of what you say, Sam, especially since
much of it I just don't know about (bars or pubs, for example).

But somehow or other being 'god-fearing' & worshipping Money and nothing
else seem to go together all too easily in both the US & the province of
Alberta (I won't speak for all of Canada, although business here is
certainly in the (new) American grain). Being 'god-fearing' seems to mean
being against the highest ideals of the constitution & seems to mean being
George W Bush & his various minions. If that's the case, I fear
'god-fearing'.

Of course, there are many USAmericans who still ask hard questions, but
what's sad about the way politics work in the US, Britain, & Canada to be
sure, is that the government elected seems to feel that until the next
election it need not pay any attention to the various minorities that
disagree with what it wants to do, usually at the behest of multinational
business (here, & in this war-mongering, seemigly especially big oil).

It's a hell of a conundrum to try to figure out what any individual can do
in these circumstances...

Writing poems is something for the individual but I don't think it has much
effect in the world of realpolitik. Not that that stops me, of course...

Doug

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320      (b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

        The blank page
        as merely an interval or
        an intrusion. We could not rescue it

        nor could we huddle, as if the page were
        big enough.
                        Kathleen Fraser