Lawrence, here is the link to the Times article on Stephen Wolfram's book
"A new kind of science".   Despite the fact that these scientists keep
talking about "simplicity", I don't really get it myself. . . I can't
understand the basic concept of a "universal computer".  How a bucket of
rusty nails can be a "universal computer" is beyond me.

However, these discussions do remind me of my experiences getting caught up
in long poems (probably similar to those of prose narrators too).  You
start up with a set of "inputs" and run with it, and what reels out -
chaotic or intricately ordered - is more than you could have expected or
planned.  You become a computer.  The inputs make the difference though -
the algorithm.

Henry