In a message dated 2/9/02 9:30:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Understand, that at that time I was
still posting across All the metatarsal heads [I-V].  The severe reactions
[less than 5% of my case load, but still too high to be acceptable]  was
one of the main reasons I had to rethink my approach [and challange my
understanding of forefoot mechanics].

Brian,

What, might I ask, is the current "severe reaction" rate using your modified orthotic?

In the Hippocratic oath, the promise is made to "above all, do no harm".  How can you justify a 5% "severe reaction"  rate in light of this pledge?  You wrote "When I was using Postural Control Orthotics in the mid to late 1980s and early 1990s".  Does this mean that for 4-6 years, you permitted 5% of your patients to undergo this reaction?  Did you inform them of the potential hazzard prior to treatment?

I certainly don't help everyone I treat, but I have never hospitalized a single patient from orthotic management in 25 years of practice.  Quite frankly Brian, I find this a very difficult problem to rectify when other methods exist which do not cause the "severe reactions" you describe.

Howard Dananberg