De : PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhDs in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]]De la part de Lubomir S. Popov
Envoyé : jeudi 31 octobre 2002 16:42
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: Design By All

At 01:45 PM 10/31/2002 +0100, Jean Schneider wrote:
The advantage that I see in a declaration such as "design is a (generic)
human ability, and (possibly) a right" is that it would allow us to
deconstruct seriously the figure of the hero, and discuss in a more positive
way about the power structure(s) and discourse(s) of mass production and
consumption (money, ressources, distribution, empowerment and use, re-use
etc...).

I think I start understanding the attitude of the designers/researchers on this list. They actually protest the glorification of THE great DESIGNER and in this context they fight for the empowerment of the little user. From this position it becomes clear to me why all that indignation, all that almost leftist (and maybe too leftist) attitude to user inclusion, and the politicizing of the design process
as a whole.

I look at design from a completely different position. Although a designer myself, I had survived the training in a company of philosophers and sociologists who sustained their egos by offending designers. The designers were demystified, exposed, and laughed at. That community leveled the same accusations to designers as you do, however in a different context and with a different goal. You criticize designers on pure humanitarian bases, you do this to empower yourself and to gain a higher status in the design communities. These friends of mine (many of them become and still are friends of mine) criticized The Designer again from the same humanitarian and meta-position, but with the goal to take a piece of the pie for themselves -- they wanted to take out and develop user needs research as a separate specialty and to empower themselves as professional user advocates in order to control The Designer. The whole nature of pre-design research is about serving the user, but at the same time this specialty empowers the agents engaged in it by allowing them to serve as design criteria developers and from that platform -- as design evaluators. Now you understand that those who evaluate, they control. The Pre-Designer wants to become the middleman between the designer and the user and in this employment to serve the user by controlling The Designer. In this way designers are saved from burden they are not trained to carry on (user needs research), user needs and interests are protected, and social scientists working as social designers get a piece of the big pie called product manufacturing and construction industry.

Now I believe the picture becomes clearer and you can understand my own bias and stakes. This is the reason I reject all populist appeals for democratic design.   Besides my stakes, I had pretty strong arguments against letting laymen make decisions that affect not just their lives, but the life of the whole society. I have nathing agains laymen planning their lives and curing themselves. If they ruing someting, they ruing only their lives. But when they start making decisions on behalf of the whole society or at least many groups of stakeholders, laymen are the worst oppressors because they think only about their personal and narrow interests rather than the common good. Communism proved that pretty categorically. There were many "social" "designers" who pretended they will design a new and better life for everybody, but at the end it became pretty clear that they were not capable to design a life even for themselves. All they could do was to ruin what was already designed by professional designers. It took them 50-70 years -- it was difficult for them even to ruin. That is the nature of the laymen. A technocrat can do damage much faster.

This is why I mentioned several times in the last years -- design is too complex to leave it to designers. Now I would add -- and the users. My tacit implication is that there is a need for one other position, a metaposition -- the position of the pre-designer. Actually, this is the metadesign realm and the real metadesigner is the pre-designer or design programmer. I will name it openly as the position of the social designer. In this context I mean not the social designer working with social matter like the designers of services, events, policies, strategies, wars or what ever. I mean the social designers who design the functional blueprint of the artifact (the design program).

There is not yet a pre-design research society and that's why I still keep on this list. And I haven't found yet a listproc of social designers working on material environment. (If you know, let me know!)

Regards,

Lubomir