HI Jan,
This is certainly a point to be pondered. Personally I do not think
there is a need to distinguish between a designer for social
responsibility and other designers profiles. The point Peter Butenschon
was making, I think, is that designers should have a role also in
processes generated by a higher sense of social (or environmental)
responsibility. To do this the designers should have a clear picture of
the competences and skills that are needed to participate to those
processes. Furthermore the designers should be strong enough to identify
the 'design related' problems in such problems and propose them in
design terms. In other words I have the impression that designers are
not involved in process such as the ones Peter was mentioning simply
because no one has an idea of what they can do, nor designer themselves
are able to specify their competences and capability in institutional
contexts in which such processes are organized.
So the 'designers for social responsibility' are not special kind of
designers. The sensitivity and skills that are required to act in a
socially responsible way should be part of a broader background,
together with other more 'traditional' competences (e.g. on industrial
processes, on design management, etc).
In other words we do not need further specialization, but just a
specification and a better definition of some competences that may be
used in a socially responsible process (but should be part of the
business as usual, that should also be socially responsible). TO come
back to the building construction metaphor, we do not need a new branch
for the building (therefore we do not need to broaden the foundations),
we just need to include those aspects when defining the foundations.
This is my very personal opinion, of course, someone else may have a
different one...

Ass Prof Nicola Morelli
Institute of Architecture and Design
Aalborg University, Denmark