I would say they belong to the rhetoric of communication. It is the same case
as the theatre: in order to communicate something one does not necessarily do
it as it is really done (theatrical gestures, exaggeration, etc.). "Grammar"
suggests that communication occurs because the sender and receiver share a set
of rules, whereas Keith's examples are about COMMUNICATING THAT objects move,
explode, etc.even in cases that we have not experienced. Do we really "expect"
noisy spacecraft, or is that noisy spacecraft are "expressive" (rhetoric) of
moving spacecraft?

Michael

At 13:17 17/05/2002 +1000, Keith Russell wrote:

> Klaus makes a good point here - there are many jokes, for example,
> about the "ontologies" of science fiction works - space craft that
> make noise in a vacuum, rockets that have their engines going all the time
> yet they are travelling at the same speed. When we are experts we notice the
> silly things in movies - like everything that explodes is always carrying
> 100,000 litres
> of petrol. Cartoon always have things going backwards before they go
fowards,
> things settling
> when they stop. These artefacts help develop a grammar of expectation in the
> audience so they really belong to the ontologies of aesthetic objects?
>
> In this sense metaphysics can be seen as ontology.
>
> hope this confuses even more
>
> keith russell
> Newcastle OZ

> to me, it is not a question of whether something exists when we don't
> observe it -- i know what i have in my pocket without looking -- but whether
> we examine our observation and knowledge as such or deny our involvement and
> project what we know onto something we cannot know.  the latter gets us into
> all kinds of trouble, for example, by inviting authorities on ontology to
> construct their reality for others to be evaluated by.
>
> i think the a more practical use of the word "ontology" in design is its use
> in artificial intelligence, for example and already mentioned, as the
> principles or logic by which an engineer constructs an physical artifact, a
> logic s/he knows but others may not, a logic that may govern a machine
> beyond its use by others.  this is not philosophical ontology with the claim
> of objectivity, but someone's ontology, which io don't mind acknowledging.

Dr Michael A R Biggs
Reader in Visual Communication
Faculty of Art and Design
University of Hertfordshire
College Lane,
Hatfield, Herts. AL10 9AB
United Kingdom

Telephone UK+ (0)1707 285341
Fax UK+ (0)1707 285350
E-mail [log in to unmask]
Internet http://www.herts.ac.uk/artdes/practice/creac/html/intrombiggs.html

The full postgraduate prospectus is available online at
http://www.herts.ac.uk/

For information about art and design research degrees go to
http://www.artdes.herts.ac.uk/res2prac/

Research into Practice conference
http://www.artdes.herts.ac.uk/res2prac/

The journal  Working Papers in Art and Design
http://www.artdes.herts.ac.uk/papers/wpades/

The Centre for Research in Electronic Art and Communication is at
http://www.herts.ac.uk/artdes/practice/creac/