Kristina,

just a quick comment:

in relation to the "new-ness" and eternity, with a particular reference of Non Western design: While there probably is an unquestionable notion of "time" settled by physics as Klaus said, peopleīs views of it differ greatly. The Western, linear concept of time is diametrically opposed to, say, the African approach, which is essentially circular. This concept of time where the past is more important than future and where the ancestors constantly control every aspect of your life,  must have a profound impact on the way e.g. product development, (a very time-bound concept), is seen in the traditional African society.  It certainly has a lot of impact on the language: The zulus donīt say "I missed the bus" but "The bus left me". Very handy!

hakuna matata,

kati