Dear Ben,

Thank you for your perceptive questions.

Started to write a brief answer, but even a brief answer suddenly
turns long in addressing these kinds of issues.

I will satisfy myself with a very short answer to a central question.
If you wish to read further, I add below the formerly short note that
turned into several pages.

Two major questions in your post involved my earlier note. The first
involves hermeneutics. The second involves multiple methods and
epistemological relativism.

On hermeneutics, I attempted to distinguish between two traditions of
hermeneutical research.

The first tradition goes back to the translation schools of Athens
and Alexandria, coming forward through the medieval universities and
blossoming in the work of Johann Martin Chladenius. Wilhelm Dilthey
brought this tradition forward into the human sciences, and his views
shaped a tradition in which we can place such scholars as George
Herbert Mead and Herbert Blumer. Nothing in this tradition implies
epistemological relativism. As my long note will demonstrate, this
tradition implies an empirical world. The purpose of hermeneutical
research is to understand this world more fully, including the many
views that different human beings have of their world. To say that
different people see the world in different ways is a statement of
objective reality. It does not mean that the world is constituted
differently simply because different individuals have different
positions and perspectives from which to see the world.

The second tradition of hermeneutics in anchored in Heidegger's work.
I declined to address Heidegger's work because of the deep layers of
dialectical inquiry this requires and the confusions that are often
involved.

The second question is whether multiple research methods imply
epistemological relativism.

The short answer is no, they do not.

I explain in my longer note why an interdisciplinary field requires
multiple methods for revealing different issues, aspects, and
problems connected with the world. This is not the same as saying
that multiple methods mean the world itself is different from each
position.

I will offer a mild nuance to a question you only partially asked.
You asked about "multi-methodologies." In my view, such terms as
"multi-methodologies" or "multiple methodologies" are problematic.

Methodology is a field of inquiry or a discipline. Methodology is the
comparative study of method. There are many research methods. There
are many perspectives on research method, and these constitute
methodological positions. Methodology itself is a field comprised of
many segments, sectors, and aspects. Any one researcher may be aware
of different methodological positions. Some researchers may adopt
several positions for different purposes. Even so, I would not use a
term such as "multi-methodologies" to describe the concept of using
multiple methods.

Long note follows. If it is too long, please feel free to discard it
or to scroll on by.

Best regards,

Ken Friedman

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Warning! Long Commentary -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

This text is copyright ( C ) 2002 by Ken Friedman. Permission is
given to use or reproduce this text in part or in full with proper
citation and copyright credit.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Warning! Long Commentary -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Dear Ben and All,

This query involves a range of so many deep issues that I will not
try to answer them all. I will simply clarify my position.

In answering Kevin Connaire's question, I attempted to distinguish
between the several forms of hermeneutics. None of the hermeneutical
traditions that I described implies a position of epistemological
relativism. Please recall that I specifically declined to discuss
Heidegger's views or the forms of hermeneutics arising from
Heidegger's work. The forms of philosophical hermeneutics involving
epistemological relativism follow from that tradition.

In contrast, the other hermeneutic traditions posit an empirical
world distinct from the researcher. The role of hermeneutics for
scholars from Chladenius to Dilthey is that of finding ways to
develop increasingly better understandings of difficult material.

Hermeneutics attempts to hear the voices of human beings. These
voices are different, and the perspectives and worldviews of each
subject are his or her own. This does not imply that there is no
empirical reality outside the voice of the subject. It simply means
that a researcher ought to attempt to locate and hear the voice of
the subject as he or she speaks from within his or her perspective.

It never seemed to me that Dilthey's view of the human sciences
implies epistemological relativism. Rather, it suggests that the
methods of research into natural science are often inappropriate to
the human sciences. This is a point that Allen Lee makes in the
article you cite, Your citation only gave half of Lee's full title,
"Rigor and Relevance in MIS Research: Beyond the Approach of
Positivism Alone."

The issue of positivism is important here:

"In the social sciences, positivism refers to the belief that
social-science research should emulate how research is done in the
natural sciences. Interestingly, Davenport and Markus happen to
assert that IS research ought to emulate research in medicine and
law. A point that Davenport and Markus do not state explicitly, but
that would further strengthen their position, is that medicine and
law are not natural sciences, but professions. Inquiry in the
professions, such as medicine, law, engineering, and architecture,
does not quite proceed in the same manner, if it does at all, as
inquiry in the natural sciences. Inquiry in the natural sciences
pursues the goal of truth in formal propositions; inquiry in the
professions pursues the goal of effectiveness in actions. Inquiry in
the natural sciences produces knowledge about what the world is;
inquiry in the professions produces knowledge about how to intervene
in the world and change it in order to satisfy real-world needs.
Clearly, if we wish our research to be relevant to practitioners,
then we ought to consider doing our research in a way that emulates
inquiry in the professions, whether in addition to or instead of
doing research in a way that emulates inquiry in the natural
sciences" (Lee 1999: 29).

Lee goes on to discuss a wide range of issues that also apply to
design research. I want to keep my response brief, so I will step
around them today.

There are many purposes for research. Some involve knowing how to do
things. Others involve knowing that things are so. Some, as David
Sless noted the other day, involve description and pragmatic action.
Others, as Rosan Chow noted in her query to David, involve
explanation. My view is that design research involves all of these.

All of these are legitimate. Moe important, the search for pragmatic
results does not negate the need for deeper understanding. Quite the
contrary, the pragmatic results that immediate situations often seem
to require create a situation in which deeper forms of understanding
finally become more necessary than they were before imposing
immediately pragmatic solutions on the problems they seem to answer.

Pragmatic, short-term solutions are often ad hoc. They tend to be
local. Because they solve partial problems in local context, they
frequently fail to engage the large-scale systemic understanding. On
many occasions, this is irrelevant. However, purely local solutions
also fail to consider network effective and contingent complexity.

In any system comprised of many inter-related parts, the failure to
consider these kinds of effects generally leads to new problems.

Consider a local decision to save valuable resources by designating
year-dates with two digits in costly computer programs. This decision
was sensible at a time when computer resources were scarce and
costly. They led to the year 2000 problem. Decisions that are
effective in solving immediate problems on a local basis - including
a local basis repeated within systems -- have astonishing
consequences in the large-scale systems they affect.

One of the great virtues of the internal combustion engine was that
it solved a major urban pollution problem of the early 1900s: horse
manure.

Today, the internal combustion engine has become the greatest urban
pollution problem of the early 2000s, and its effects are far more
than urban.

Every aspect of the designed world is linked to nearly every other in
today's large-scale networked environments. In a world of seven
billion people, any problem that is solved locally with a widely
adopted solution affects tens or hundreds of millions. In some cases,
solutions affect everyone in the world.

In this environment, we need understanding of deep systems and
explanatory causes as well as pragmatic, applicable solutions.

No field grows in the long term without a foundation in expatiations.
The search for explanation gives birth to new theories and questions
that lead to improved practice. Every field of research requires
scholars and scientists doing several kinds of research - pragmatic
and deep, descriptive and explanatory, clinical, applied, and basic.

Design research involves all these forms of research and many methods.

One way to look at design is a process that seeks outcomes. Many of
the ideas with which I work in defining design go back to Buckminster
Fuller (1969, 1981) and Herbert Simon's (1982, 1998) definitions of
design science. It is possible defines design in terms of goals as
Simon does without subscribing to all of his views. To design, he
writes, is to "[devise] courses of action aimed at changing existing
situations into preferred ones" (Simon 1982: 129). Design, properly
defined, is the entire process across the full range of domains
required for any given outcome.

The nature of design as an integrative discipline places it at the
intersection of several large fields [A text version describing this
model appears at end of this note]. In one dimension, design is a
field of thinking and pure research. In another, it is a field of
practice and applied research. When applications are used to solve
specific problems in a specific setting, it is a field of clinical
research.

My model for the field of design (Friedman 2001) is a circle of six
fields. A horizon bisects the circle into fields of theoretical study
and fields of practice and application.

The triangles represent six general domains of design. Moving
clockwise from the left-most triangle, these domains are (1) natural
sciences, (2) humanities and liberal arts, (3) social and behavioral
sciences, (4) human professions and services, (5) creative and
applied arts, and (6) technology and engineering.

Design may involve any or all of these domains, in differing aspect
and proportion depending on the nature of the project at hand or the
problem to be solved.

Design knowledge and design process involve many kinds of knowledge
and many kinds of process. This does not imply epistemological
relativism. This is a situation emerges from the interdisciplinary
nature of design. Design involves many forms of inquiry. It is so
because design addresses many different kinds of problem. Design
involves many different kinds of process with actions leading to many
different kinds of goals.

To return to the issue of epistemological relativism, I would like to
quote Herbert Blumer on multiple methods and their relation to the
empirical world: Blumer discusses this nicely in the chapter on
methodology in his book on symbolic interactionism. Blumer argues for
multiple methodological perspectives. His argument for qualitative
research is precisely that numbers cannot capture or adequately
represent certain kinds of human realities. This does not imply
epistemological relativism, but it addresses the difficulties of
learning about a real world beyond our subjective perceptions of that
world. Blumer (1969: 21-22) writes,

". . . an empirical science presupposes the existence of an empirical
world. Such an empirical world exists as something available for
observations, study, and analysis. It stands over against the
scientific observer, with a character that has to be dug out and
established through observation, study, and analysis. This empirical
world must forever be the central point of concern. It is the point
of departure and the point of return in the case of empirical
science. It is the testing ground for any assertions made about the
empirical world. 'Reality' for empirical science exists only in the
empirical world, can be sought only there, and can be verified only
there."

My position on these issues is that

1) There is a real world external to any individual human being.

2) This world is in theory knowable.

3) The practical difficulty of gaining knowledge does not negate the
possibility of knowledge.

There are many methods used in many fields. All methods have some
relation to epistemology, but the wide variety of methods and the
decision to use different methods does not imply epistemological
differences. For example, using multiple methods to triangulate
implies the exact opposite position to that of epistemological
relativism.

One can take on a position involving multiple methods and one can
even account for differences in position and perspective without
being an epistemological relativist. One does not need to adopt a
positivist approach in either the narrow or the broad sense to accept
the ideas of an empirical reality that does not depend on subjective
position. Our PERSPECTIVE on reality necessarily depends on our
position, but reality itself does not.

Neither does one need to use the methods of natural science to accept
the notion that there is an empirical world external to the
researcher.

In my view, the interdisciplinary nature of design and the complexity
of design research make to necessary for us to use many methods for
the different kinds of problems we face.

This is precisely why I argue for sound methodological training. This
is why I argue that any serious PhD program must provide training in
both methods and methodology - the comparative study of method. Any
serious research degree program must equip researchers with knowledge
of and about research methods that they may not themselves use or
apply.

I know ABOUT many methods that I do not use. I know roughly how they
work. I know what kinds of problems they address. I know when it is
helpful to suggest that a student or colleague consider them. As a
research advisor, I am required to know about multiple methods. When
students or colleagues come to me with problems that require methods
outside my range of expertise, I can send them to the right place for
the help and resources they need.

This involves the argument against labeling as research degrees those
degree programs where students learn a single specific research
method linked to practical application. A lawyer learns to do
clinical legal research. A physician learns to use and apply
diagnostics. Neither of these may be equipped to teach research. In
contrast, a PhD implies that the degree holder can teach BOTH methods
and methodology. The problems we are now seeing in many design
research programs emerge specifically from the fact that many
teachers in our field are unequipped to teach BOTH methods and
methodology.

Even worse, we are now seeing the graduates of deficient doctoral
courses guiding a new generation of master's and doctoral candidates.
Their students often do not know that there are different methods for
different purposes. They mistake the one method their teacher can
give them for "research methods."

This does not mean that any one scholar requires a specific method.
The FIELD, however, requires many methods, and the disciplines within
the field, require many methods and sometimes multiple methods.

On a more specific level, there are several answers to your question
on multiple methods:

1) Design and design research involve many problems that are explicit
cognates of the problems seen in other fields. Methods used in other
fields can often be adopted directly to design research for
addressing the same kinds of issues used elsewhere.

2) Design and design research involve many problems that resemble the
problems seen in other fields. Methods used in other fields can often
be adapted successfully to addressing issues that are similar to
those seen elsewhere. This kind of methodological adaptation is
common in fields from mathematics and sociology to literature and
medicine.

3) Design research involves problems specific to design that
nevertheless resemble problems in other fields in structural and
substance. Research methods can be adapted from any field to solve
structurally and substantively similar problems in other fields.
There is also a rich tradition of importing method across the
boundaries of fields when they can be applied to problems with
similar structure and content. A problem in public health and
epidemiology may have the same structure and roughly similar content
to related but distinct problems in mathematics, sociology, law,
economics, history, economy, or logistics.

4) Design research involves problems with partial structural or
substantive resemblances to problems in other fields. Aspects or
elements of methods may be adapted from any field to solve
structurally and substantively similar problems in other fields. To
see how this can work in practice, consider how Andrew Wiles solved
Fermat's Theorem by using methods from different areas of theoretical
and applied mathematics to solve specific aspects of the long series
of problems that he unraveled in solving the general problem. Those
who are not mathematicians will nevertheless find the story (Aczel
1996; Singh 1997) interesting - and anyone interesting in heuristics
and methodology will find this a very useful example.

5) Any field or discipline rich enough to support research methods as
contrasted with methods of practice will probably develop multiple
research methods. This must be so because human beings will focus on
different aspects of any research problem. Any given research method
will illuminate certain aspects of a problem while obscuring others.
Therefore, different researchers will eventually locate, create, or
find more than one method to enable their research. (The empirical
world has many aspects. that any method reveals one of these or
another does not imply that each method reveals a different world.
Neither does it bear on the possibility or difficulty of seeing these
different aspects of the world in a unified structure on another
level of inquiry.)

6) Any field or discipline rich enough to support heuristic inquiry
will probably support different research methods for different
possible problems. A method may be large and systemic, or it may be
tightly focused and local. Each problem may require a specific range
of methods or a specific method or a chosen selection of methods.
Even a relatively specific problem in a specific discipline may
require multiple methods for solution. George Polya's (1990) classic
text on heuristics in mathematical problem solving many good example
of this.

7) Any field that offers problems challenging enough to require
research will challenge researchers to devise methods suited to the
problems they face. As the field accumulates a body of methods,
researchers will bring different methods to apply on the problems
they address. Hadamard's (1996) inquiry into the psychology of
mathematical invention illuminates the process at work as scientists
create methods.

Several more such cases can be described in which the objective
situation of design research requires multiple methods and different
methodological perspectives.

None of these implies epistemological relativism.

There are many extant varieties of epistemological relativism. I
subscribe to none of them. Norris (1997) offers an elegant and
well-conceived summary of all the major varieties of epistemological
relativism. Even though he opposes them, his summaries are so fair
and well described that this book is also a good introduction to the
different schools of epistemological relativism. His chapter
rrfer3ecne lists also allow the interested reader to go further.
Norris (1997: 66-100) offers a good discussion of ontological
relativity and meaning variance, and (Norris 1997: 133-166) a good
overview of Heidegger's version of hermeneutics.

Stephen Toulmin's (2001) new book offers a nicely argued view of the
tradition of inquiry that can be used for such fields as design. I
have only just started reading it. It is premature for me to
summarize Toulmin's views. I recommend it for those who want to read
what a distinguished philosopher of science has to say about
philosophies of science and scientific method suited to inquiry for
the professions. This is the question of reasoned inquiry for
situated practice.

What I believe is that reasoned argument from evidence offers a good
basis for design research. This implies a healthy pragmatism AND a
search for explanation. Because explanation gives rise to more
effective solutions, it implies a search or increasingly deep
explanations as the basis of better pragmatic solutions. It suggests
multiple methods rooted in respect for empirical data. It allows
absolute freedom of inquiry and complete imagination in proposing
hypotheses, and it requires testing each hypothesis against facts.

Design research has an aspect that we can not address through method
alone. Even if those who believe that

1) there is a real world,

and that

2) this world is in theory knowable,

accept that it is often difficult top know the world or even any
aspect of the world.

While

3) the practical difficulty of gaining knowledge does not negate the
possibility of knowledge,

developing knowledge requires a long and difficult journey from
ignorance to understanding.

Design is both a field for disciplined inquiry and a field of applied
action. We do not simply know things. Those who want robust theories
insist on knowing things in a theoretical, lawful, or explanatory
sense, but we are aware of the pragmatic power of design. This gives
urgency to theoretical inquiry, because

4) what we know affects how we act.

This also gives an ethical urgency to our research, because

5) what we do affects human beings.

Like medical research or legal research, design research affects
design action. As physicians and lawyers do, it is also the case for
designers that

6) our actions in have ethical implications.

In such fields as design, therefore, the journey from ignorance to
understanding also implies developing the wisdom for right action.

This makes our inquiry into methods and mehtolodigcal perspectives
far moe important than they have seemed in the past.

I welcome the kinds of thoughtful inquiry you opened with your
questions, and I hope others will also reflect on these issues.

Best regards,

Ken Friedman

References

Aczel, Amir D. 1996. Fermat's Last Theorem. Unlocking the Secret of
an Ancient Mathematical Problem. London: Penguin Books.

Lee, Allen S. 1999. "Rigor and Relevance in MIS Research: Beyond the
Approach of Positivism Alone." MIS Quarterly, Vol. 23, No. 1, 29-35.

Friedman, Ken. 2001. "Creating Design Knowledge: From Research into
Practice." In Design and Technology Educational Research and
Development: The Emerging International Research Agenda. E. W. L.
Norman and P. H. Roberts, eds. Loughborough, UK: Department of Design
and Technology, Loughborough University, 31-69.

Fuller, Buckminster. 1969. Utopia or oblivion: the prospects for
humanity. New York: Bantam Books.

Fuller, Buckminster. 1981. Critical Path. New York: St. Martin's Press.

Hadamard, Jacques. 1996. The Mathematician's Mind. The Psychology of
Invention in the Mathematical Field. With a new preface by P. N.
Johnson-Laird. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press.

Norris, Christopher. 1997. Against Relativism. Philosophy of Science,
Deconstruction, and Critical Theory. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.

Polya, G. 1990. How to Solve It. A New Aspect of Mathematical Method.
London: Penguin Books.

Simon, Herbert. 1982. The sciences of the artificial., 2nd ed.
Cambridge, Massachusetts : MIT Press.

Simon, Herbert. 1996. The sciences of the artificial., 3rd ed.
Cambridge, Massachusetts : MIT Press.

Singh, Simon. 1996. Fermat's Last Theorem. The Story of a Riddle that
Confounded the World's Greatest Minds for 358 Years. London: Fourth
Estate.

Toulmin, Stephen. 2001. Return to Reason. Cambridge, Massachusetts:
Harvard University Press.

[Text description of model]

The model I propose to represent the field of design can be
envisioned as a circle of domains. Since a model can't be posted by
email, I will describe this model in geometric terms. It should be
easy to reproduce it with a quick sketch.

Draw a circle or pie chart. Bisect the circle with a horizontal line.
Draw six equal triangles on the circle so that three triangle above
the horizontal line and three below.

Use a dotted line to extend the horizontal bisecting line to the
right and left of the circles. Above the dotted line, inscribe a
caption to denote that the three triangles above the horizontal line
represent "domains of theoretical study." Below the dotted line,
inscribe a caption to denote that the three triangles below the
horizontal line represent "domains of practice and application."

The triangles represent six general domains of design. Moving
clockwise from the left-most triangle above the horizontal line,
these domain are (1) natural sciences, (2) humanities and liberal
arts, (3) social and behavioral sciences, [shifting below the line]
(4) human professions and services, (5) creative and applied arts,
and (6) technology and engineering.

The model described in this text is copyright © 1999 by Ken Friedman.
All rights reserved. Permission to use and reproduce freely is
granted on condition of proper citation and reference.

[Ben's post]