>Allan,

The basis for most of the product design lawsuits in the US stems from
product misuse. How many of you have used a screw driver to open a can of
paint? :)  Also, the reason Apple Computer had done so well was that the
average user could understand the computer message when a problem occurred
because it was not written in code. That operating system allowed a lot of
us to troubleshoot (and fix) our own computer problems.

Lorraine

>Moral: design needs to take account of the user as well as the task. Among
>the complexities of the design task are the need to anticipate what
>happens when something goes wrong or is misused, rather than assume every
>user is perfect on every occasion or can be blamed for system-induced
>errors.
>

>R. Allan Reese                       Email: [log in to unmask]

Lorraine Justice, Ph.D., FIDSA
Director, Industrial Design
404.385.0462