At 08:50 PM 9/19/2002 +0100, David Durling wrote:

"As nobody seems to have picked up the point made by Kristina, I
will make a comment on it."

You are right David -- this is a major idea that deserves more discussion
time than  many of the previous. One of the reasons might be a burn out at
that time. Some treads are so time-consuming that they very quickly burn
out the audience. However, this is also indicative about the current level
of discourse in design theory.

I idea that Kristina brings forward is in the core of creating a common
ground. The aspect that she looks at is usually studied by philosophers of
design. She is right that the idea is not new and she is also right that
the idea is not widely disseminated, at least at this level of abstraction.
I can recall a major monograph of Gerald Nadler, The planning and design
approach (1981) where the focus is on the general characteristics of design
as a universal human activity. We can recall also other books and articles
written by members of this society.

However, scholarly work on this topic is not widely published and
disseminated for a number of reasons. It is too abstract for designers and
at the same time not enough privileged for philosophers of science. If you
are a philosopher and work on this topic, you don't have many outlets to
publish and you can't find a doctoral program with such focus to house your
body and research.

One other person that works in a similar way is Wojciech Gasparski
(philosophy of design and action theory, praxiologist like Kotarbinski),
who  works very closely with Nadler, and sometimes they publish in the same
outlets.

I presume the community will add to this information and probably we might
look for a common ground through the eyes of the philosophers rather than
the designers. By the way, I was pushing periodically to look for
philosophers on the list -- this was one of the reasons.

Regards,

Lubomir