Dear Marcus,

Thanks for your thoughts. I had not given thought to the issues you
point out when I passed the article along.

The reason I posted the article from The Economist was somewhat
mundane: I was delighted that they reported on the importance of
design issues as a normal part of their focus on economics, and
business. To me, this is preferable to the way that some magazines
feature design once a year in a "let's look at design" picture spread.

There are three reasons I like this approach better. First, it
locates the design process in the normal flow of management decisions
and economic life. Second, it alerts managers to the fact that design
issues are meaningful to them as well as to consumers and end-users.

The third reason is that most magazines confuse the design process
with the artifacts that are its result. The "this is good design"
approach confuses design with things. The Economist article shifts
the focus from designed objects to the design process. Focusing on
the process that creates goods and services clarifies the potential
of good design in business.

A parallel will make this clear. W. Edwards Deming's work
demonstrated that quality is one outcome of good management. A focus
on the design process as one series of activities among others
demonstrates that well designed goods and services are the outcome of
good design. Rather than seeing design as an expensive art best left
to experts, this approach makes design a general strategic management
responsibility by placing design decisions in the flow of business.
This perspective is far better for everyone: consumers, end users,
and companies, as well as designers and design researchers.

The annual "good design" feature issues that some magazines run is
interesting, but the exclusive emphasis on design as a soft news
feature rather than a significant had news process has drawbacks.

This article represents an important new approach in which design is
treated as one of the issues that journalist MUST consider when
appropriate, and that is why I passed it along. As I see it, it is
far more important to get solid descriptive coverage of the design
process in The Economist several times a year than a color spread
featuring designed objects once a year. I hope the other news
magazines will follow suit and add this to their repertoire.

The other reason I posted this was that it described design RESEARCH.
That is even less common for a leading global newsmagazine than
describing the design process itself.

These are my reasons for posting the article.

Your comments on the substance of the articles are fair and
interesting. It is obvious that simulation is no substitute for
experience. At the same time, simulations help people to understand
experiences that they have not had. I have to give this some thought
before responding.

I posted the article as an example of journalism that treats design -
and design research - as topics worth covering in the course of
normal journalism. Normal journalism at The Economist is serious
journalism. This was treated as hard news rather than soft feature
material. That makes this an important step.

The issues you raise are worth considering in their own right. I am
going to look into the subject and think. I think that Wim Gilles,
Jacques Giard, and others have discussed this topic in the past, here
and elsewhere. I would welcome more insight. perhaps other
subscribers have thoughts on the issues you raise.

Best regards,

Ken

-snip-

 From Marcus Ormerod

thanks for the interesting article and the note about design-for-all
content. I would want to stress the need for great caution in using
simulations to attempt to give a young, non-disabled designer the
feeling of being older and/or disabled. I realise that it is not your
article Ken, but wanted to point some issues out regarding
simulations.

There are several reasons why such exercises are not the same as
evaluations done by an older person, or a disabled person.

1. The person putting on a simulation suit will not have developed
coping strategies and is therefore plunged into a completely
different experience to the one they have on a daily basis. The
person experiencing the simulation will tend to be overwhelmed by the
"novelty" of the unfamiliar situation. In contrast an older person,
or a disabled person, will not be concentrating on the experience per
se, rather the activity of getting on with their daily life, using
the design, etc.. Also the older person, or disabled person, will
have developed ways of doing things that best suit them. People who
get into a wheelchair for the first time cannot expect to have the
fine control over manoeuvring that someone who uses a wheelchair on a
daily basis will have. If you predominantly use your senses other
than vision to do things then you will have a better understanding of
what is going on than someone who has just put on special goggles to
blur their vision.

2. The person wearing the simulation suit will eventually be able to
take off the suit and return to their daily life, an older person
cannot turn back the clock, or a disabled person put aside their
disability. This can create tension in disabled people, and older
people, who would have preferred to have given their views first
hand. But we should not expect these views to be given for free; they
should be treated as consultants. People get tired of being asked to
join in without a good incentive to participate.

3. Such simulations rarely take into account the attitudinal problems
that surround the issues. A social model of disability approach takes
the stance that it is society that is the disabling factor by
creating barriers to the day-to-day activities of people, rather than
any medical condition. the person in the simulation may feel some of
the differing attitudes to them whilst they are wearing the suit, but
could equally well gain a rich experience form spending some time
with disabled people, or older people, whilst they are going through
their daily activities.

Whilst I acknowledge that designers pick up on certain issues through
such simulations, that a non-designer might well miss. I feel that
this can be done equally as well without the simulation by studying
people in real contexts and listening to them as they express their
experiences. Why are we so reluctant to engage with the users of
designs that we resort to developing simulation suits.

-snip-

--

Ken Friedman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design

Visiting Professor
Advanced Research Institute
School of Art and Design
Staffordshire University