>(Note: I also sent this post to the AIGA Experience Design list, as a
>similar type of discussion arose there.)

(And I sent this query to the AIGA Experience Design list as well.)

>My article, Information architecture versus graphic design, certainly has
>got some debate going:
>http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/nt/2001/nt_2001_12_17_design.htm
[snip]
>The basics on the Web are about getting the right content to the right
>person at the right time. Here's two examples of what I think are great web
>design: Amazon 1-Click purchase (http://www.amazon.com/) and the Google
>search process (http://www.google.com). Here's two examples of what I think
>are awful web design: the Absolut website (http://www.absolut.com/), and
>the Virgin Atlantic website, where you will find red text on a red
>background (http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/)

This may sound like a snotty rhetorical question but it is, snotty or
not, an actual question: What important information about flavored
vodkas were you looking on Absolut's site?

I find it hard to make the conceptual jump from google to
vodka-mongering. I can't believe I'm not the only one feeling like
someone just said "Look how well this file room is organized. Castro
sex toy shops and Bourbon Street bars are never this neat."

I'm not a fan of their site, but I'm not their target and haven't
really thought about flavored flavorless liquor so I don't know what
the wasted opportunity was: From a strategic point of view, what do
you think they should have accomplished with their site?

What is the right content and who do you assume is the right person?

Gunnar
--
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
536 South Catalina Street