Dear Klaus,

You offer good points. I agree that the word "is" may be seen as too
strong a term without careful delimitation.

Short thesis topics use simple, clear statements and questions. The
answers are not simple, nor will they be simplistic. (Andrew also
stated his problems in brief form before elaborating. See list of
problems and topics, next.)

My writings on such themes as science explicitly state that a rich
and sometimes ambiguous territory clusters around a number of topics,
issues, theories, and practices.

In using the term "is," I simply state that there "is" an [entity,
process, social construct, field, [open term] ] called science or
philosophy or positivism. This use of the term "is" says nothing
about the content of that [entity, process, social construct, field,
[open term] ]. It does not mean that there "is" a single or uniform
way to describe the [entity, process, social construct, field, [open
term] ].

The term "is" simply states the fact that there is a territory of
theory and practice identified by a term. I think we all agree that
this is so. (If we do not agree that there is a [entity, process,
social construct, field, [open term] ] that carries the LABEL of
science, philosophy or positivism, then I will stand corrected.)

My use of the term "is" was intended to open the field for
conversation, not to limit or close it.

If my answers fail to satisfy anyone when I provide them, please
contest my answers.

As before, I will not offer my answers for some time. Thanks, Klaus,
for sharpening up my use of the term "is."

Best regards,

Ken

 From Klaus Krippendorff's post:

-snip-

how interesting!!!

all five questions are questions that a scientist must ask who wants
to determine what something really IS (a scientist who then easily
gets into trouble with others see things differently, finding that
what IS is quite arbitrary)

what about asking the question what people actually do who say they
do science, or what do we want to call a particular practice?

once someone takes responsibility for what s/he says it IS, we can
argue whether the name is useful for our conversation to go where we
want it to go.

klaus