Wonderful discussion going on here.  The list was designed for such sharing.

I offer the following view.  The originating email from Sarah and one of
Diane Woodward's emails make reference to the trigger: the 'blow-up between
the manager and the operative outside (and presumably within earshot) of a
client's premise.  Perhaps the bulk of the work on this problem has to be
done there: two people and their dynamic(s).

We have an operative who is on his territory, his place of practice, the
place where he performs (or perhaps attempts to perform) his 'art'.  If he
is an illusionist, some-one has pointed out where he hides the rabbit: he
has been caught out in a very public place.  If he was simply doing a job to
the best of his ability (especially if his 'best' was 'poor'), he might well
feel that he is a victim (victimised?).  The manager came out to the
premises. Do we know what led up to this?  Does he often go out? What was
going on in his mind (Diane has, I believe, already hinted at the pressure
that he might well be under) and why did he feel permitted to 'let rip' so
publicly and with this person?  What 'buttons' of his were pressed?
Perhaps he too needs counselling.  Is there a culture of bullying?  Don't be
too quick to say No.

Being world-wearied, I can't see an organisation resourcing a proper
resolution. I am sure that there will be a fudge that will suffice until it
blows up elsewhere, perhaps in a different organisation.

I have assumed that the operative's black marks for technical practice. Were
they?  Who gave the black marks?

Merry Christmas to you all and keep up your high standard of debate.

Kevin

Kevin MAGUIRE BSc BA MSc CPsychol MCIEH, Senior Lecturer,  Division of
Environmental Health and Safety, The Nottingham Trent University, Burton
Street, Nottingham, NG1 4BU, United Kingdom. Telephone +44 (0)115 848 2603
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. The
Nottingham Trent University cannot accept any responsibility for the
accuracy or completeness of this message, and does not authorise any
contract to be made using the Internet