From: Mandy Brennan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 July 2002 23:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: uniforms

Thank you all for the replies - you have given me some backbone and stiffened my resolve to stand firm!

To answer some of your questions...
It is interesting that all the women on the staff side do wear uniforms ( the skirt and blouse type as in building societies etc), including the Directors secretary.  The men wear own collar and tie.  No one wears a name badge.
They have had Occ Health for the last 3 years and all the nurses wore uniforms, but not the Doctors.
They have a high turnover of staff and had an accident record that they are addressing - presumably this is where the authoritarian nurse comes in!
I intend to ask them what they expect from OH - as Chris said' terms of reference, scope of activity and limits of authority - very clearly defined'.
It is only my 2nd day this week.  I will persevere as I feel that I can make changes and they do seem to be hungry for health and safety information and respect OH advice -
it is only one day a week and good pay!

If they insist on uniform I may try the Barbara Windsor look !

Many thanks to you all

Mandy