  Sorry for my silens in the past couple months, I've been dealing with some physical matters..

  I would recommend looking up W. Logan Fry's work.
  I have some pieces in my "Through the Looking Glass show archive, at:
  http://www.voyd.com/ttlg/physical/fry.htm

  He deals with the concept of weaving as the first digital technology, although the numerical base varies with the number of lifts, etc.
  A series he did  (not shown above) was the representation of Mac binary machine code in textile.

  We were thinking about an ironic play in making backups of data in textiles that would last ceturies longer than the systems they supported.