Yesterday, after a hard, hot day tending ducks, trimming palms and skimming
algae from the waterway, I came home to find the Baltic "Curating New Media"
book in my mailbox. Well, not in the mailbox exactly, but in the shelf under
the mailbox where the postperson leaves things that are too big to fit in
the mailbox. Being a New Yorker I find it amazing that nobody steals things
left out here. Then again, I feel certain I'm the only person within a wide
radius who would be interested in a book about curating new media.

So last night I read the whole thing and I have to congratulate the editors
and participants in the conference for "getting the ball rolling" in printed
form. Since I've been involved in a number of projects where we tried to
publish something and, outside of Christiane Paul's "Intelligent Agent",
nothing ever saw ink hit the page, I know how hard this is to accomplish.
And also since I was originally introduced to computer technology through my
"day job" in the '80s (which was actually at night) as a typesetter I love
the feel of a book in my hands as I nod off to sleep.

I haven't seen a theme proposed for May could I suggest this book and some
of the issues that were raised in it? I, for one, was glad to see Tamas
Banovich have his say but felt that he and Mark Tribe were a bit like aliens
dropped into a particularly British party. There's a New York slant to the
last ten years they partially represent that needs to be described in
greater detail and since Tamas, Mark and I (along with Christian Paul,
Wolfgang Staehle, Benjamin Weil and lots of others) were closely aligned
through the whole time I'd like to attempt to do from my own POV. Why, for
instance, isn't PORT MIT ever mentioned in forums on curating new media?
Many of the questions raised in the book we faced in 1997/8 doing that
exhibition. We'd planned to publish a catalogue, even had it designed and
ready to print, but...

Rob

offshore|online