Dear Beryl,

Thanks for raising ambient art as a theme. One aspect of the question
was particularly interesting.

You asked whether ambient art offers more interaction between the art
and the audience members than traditional media.

It seems likely that ambient art offers more opportunities for
interaction simply because we have greater opportunity to interact
with any experience that surrounds us and interpenetrates the daily
environment.

At the same time, most forms of ambient art can become background as
readily as they can become a context. Ambient art can be as
omnipresent AND as invisible as the recorded music in a shopping
center.

When we attend a symphony concert or a concert-style chamber
orchestra recital, we are obliged to focus on the music. When a
chamber orchestra performs at a reception or a restaurant, it risks
fading into the background while conversation or dining occupy the
center of attention.

Ambient art that interpenetrates a larger context of experience can
have many implications.

Ambient art can erase the sharp boundary between art experience and
daily life established in the traditional forum of the gallery or
museum. In doing so, it shifts the frame of the art experience. Art
is the focal point of gallery or museum. In contrast, ambient art
offers one possible experience among many possible focal points.

When a member of a potential audience chooses to focus on the art,
interaction is higher. If he or she is more interested in something
else, interaction is lower.

This may not be bad. I recall some years ago reading an analysis of
visitor behavior in art museums and galleries. The average visitor
spent little time in front of any single work of art. The average
stop in front of any specific work was measured in seconds, and
nearly always less than a full minute.

Ambient art offers a different kind of engagement. For some, the
interaction will be deeper and richer.

Best regards

--

Ken Friedman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design

Visiting Professor
Advanced Research Institute
School of Art and Design
Staffordshire University