Terminology is a really big issue - and one which is not just pedantic, since it reflects underlying conceptual confusion about these matters. Could I recommend an article which raises some of these issues in a critical way? Its in an academic sociology journal but its actually non-jargonistic and makes some really important points:  P. Aspinall Collective Terminology to Describe the Minority Ethnic Population: The persistence of confusion and ambiguity in usage. Sociology Vol. 36(4): 8-3-816. 2002.

Lorraine Culley
-----Original Message-----
From: Jane Fountain [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 12:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: National Drugs Helpline

Alison -

please note that it wasn't MY website, but the NDH's!

At the Centre for Ethnicity and Health, University of Central Lancashire, we prefer the term Black and minority ethnic (BME) groups / communities.  This reflects that our concern is not only with those for whom 'Black' is a political term, denoting those who identify around a basis of skin colour distinction or who may face discrimination because of this or their culture:   'Black and minority ethnic' also acknowledges the diversity that exists within these communities, and includes a wider range of those who may not consider their identity to be 'Black,' but who nevertheless constitute a distinct ethnic group.

Jane