For some time now, I have been trying to find leads to the history of copper mining at Cerro Murriano in tha early part of the last century and would be grateful for any pointers that list members may be able to provide.

The area was an early source of gold and lead was worked in the period of Roman occupation.  The copper deposit, known as the "Cordoba Reef" was worked in the late 19th and early 20th Cs, by an English company, I think.  Certainly, several Cornishmen were employed there.  Ruins of at least one Cornish Engine House were still visible six years ago and I have a very few photos taken at the the workings in the period 1912 to 1919, when new steel framed pithead gear was erected (possibly electrically driven).

The area and local records are believed to have suffered in the civil war (the famous Kappa photo shows a member of the clothworkers anarchist brigade of Cordoba being shot in front of a trench in the area).

Mining was resumed for a short time after the civil war and ex-pat labour was again used but by local account, mainly German.

Any leads are welcome

Martin Pearce