On 31 Oct 2002 at 17:58, roger gosling wrote:

> While checking out a web site, for FKI Engineering, I came across a bit
> about coal mining in China. The website for Brush Transformers (an FKI
> subsidiary) is quoting an order from The Shenhua Group, now the biggest coal
> producer in China, it says.
>
> Having been on holiday to China once (I hope to go again one day), I was
> really amazed at the primitive methods used - and that was only on the
> surface for loading coal on to boats on the Yangtze.
>
> Anyway does anyone know a good reference (in English preferably!) for
> current mining in China??

A few photographs of surface tramming operations at small mines in South
China can be seen at:

http://www2.gol.com/users/jraby/pengzhou.htm

http://www2.gol.com/users/jraby/shibangxi.htm

John Raby also sells videos of his trips to these mines although it should
be realised hat his main interest is the narrow gauge railways serving
them.

I have a publication picked up in a hotel during a 1992 visit to China. It
is entitled 'China: The World's Largest Coal Producer', published by New
Star Publishers, Beijing 1990. This is one of a series of propaganda type
booklets prduced for the edification of foreigners and makes a strong play
for the glorious achievements of the peoples mining bureaux. It does,
however contain plenty of interesting, rather poor quality, photographs,
statistics about the industry and some proposed developments.

I understand that the Chinese coal industry is undergoing a major
contraction at present and that many units are on short time for much of
the year and others have been closed.

If pushed I could be persuaded to scan this booklet and images for anyone
interested.

Cheers,
--
                  fearrmeox adlaž bręgen