Peter wrote that -

"For better or worse the mining history community represented by NAMHO has a
long standing link with mining exploration".

Yes.  We formed NAMHO, but it was at a time when the difference between
"historians" and "explorers" had not become as polarised as it now appears
to be.  On the whole, in 1979, we were the same people.  When I referred to
cavers, I meant precisely that - people who use caves for sport.  As for
true speologists and NAMHO not having common interests in archaeological and
environmental matters - phooey!

Please do not get tied to the idea that, because the last few years have
been dominated by work on the safety codes with the Mines Inspectorate etc,
NAMHO has done little else but deal with issues of access for the last 23
years.  In my opinion, NAMHO has been more than a little responsible for the
present strength of mining history and for encouraging archæological
approaches too.  For example, in the 1980s it was able to make detailed
representations to English Heritage on the (then) proposed Monuments
Protection Programme.  NAMHO even initiated proposals for Scheduling
underground sites as Ancient Monuments in 1990-1991 and submitted a set of
detailed reports for non-ferrous metal mines, coal mines, ironstone mines,
fireclay mines and (I think) stone mines.  Although this issue was never
resolved, it remains on the agenda at English Heritage and there are signs
that its Welsh equivalent may be taking a more progressive attitude.  About
ten years ago, there were even half-arsed proposals for an Institute of
Mining History and Archæology, but fortunately that idea was seen off.  In
the days before GIS, NAMHO also supported the concept of studying 'mining
landscapes' rather than individual features.  Now, of course, the use of
overlays (in GIS) makes that old hat and total landscapes can be studied.
Martin Roe's proposals on underground archæology and a revision of the
guidelines on mining artefacts sit comfortably with that earlier work.

The new officers of NAMHO are both enthusiastic and skilled, but they cannot
know everything.  So, when the difficult ones land on their desks, I hope
that they get the same positive response from the pool of expertise, within
the association's members, which was available to me.

I wish them well and every success.

Mike Gill