Were they really bothered about efficiency when they were producing the
means of firing the engine? Would they have used fuel that they otherwise
couldn't sell? Would the boiler as replaced have been able to take
advantage of low quality coal?

All this is conjecture on my part, but have you tried the Black Country
Museum where they've built a replica Newcomen Engine?  It wasn't working
last time I went, though, as it was in need of maintenance/repairs.

John