A geologist friend has commented on Alan's message as follows:

I know of this and something about the underlying causes.  The British Geological Survey have a monitoring scheme in place - somewhat curtailed by the Foot and mouth problem.  The department in Durham also have plans to look at the physics of the rock failure problem.

The fissures have opened in the last few years and are thought to be the consequence of two processes, either:
- differential subsidence in the underlying coal measures (mining)
- reactivation of faults caused by allowing the water table in the coalfield to rebound.  This is as a consequence of strategic switching off of pumping operations to save money now the deep mines are defunct.

Mike