Trevor -

I live in Starkholmes, not too many yards from Riber mine. When I moved here
4
years ago, my neighbour Harry (forget his surname - and he has since moved
to Darley Dale), told me a little about Riber Mine. He also had worked in it
during the 1950s though is now long retired, and owns the cobbler's shop on
Dale Road, Matlock (I can highly recommend it!).

The drift is blocked and totally inaccessible. In fact I don't even know
where to look for it. The Allotments Shaft is also filled in, mostly with
allotments waste. Harry told me about some connecting tunnels and other
shafts. I know that one shaft, in the garden of a bungalow at the back of
High Tor, ran in a few years ago, and to the best of my knowledge there is
no longer any access to the mine from any direction, unless possibly you can
get through from the Paint Mill Adit at the foot of High Tor.

There is a booklet about Riber Mine that you probably know about, by G.B.
Greenough, published by Derbyshire Stone Ltd in 1967. Other than that I'm
not aware of any other published information that would help.

Best regards

Steve

Dr Stephen Henley
Resources Computing International Ltd
Matlock, Derbyshire, UK  +44 (0)1629 581454
http://www.SiliconDale.com

> > I worked for a short period at the above just before it was flooded out
in the late 1950's.
> > Anyone know what has happened to the old drift? Seems a long time ago
now.

> I believe that the entrances were blasted in so there is no access
nowadays.  I also seem to
> remember a ground collapse in recent years that was blamed on the mine
workings.