Steve
It's not directly relevant but have you looked at Brannigan and Dearne's
'Romano-British Cavemen - cave use in Roman Britain' (Oxbow monograph 19,
1992)?
Much of the information they present for the occupation and use of natural
caves can be paralleled at alleged Roman mines such as Draethen and
Llanymynech - perhaps we have been too quick to claim an association between
Roman artefacts and Roman mining when what we really have is Roman domestic
reuse of earlier (possibly much earlier) workings.
Draethen for instance was certainly accessible during the Roman period but
the evidence suggests it was used as a counterfeiter's den and not a working
mine.  But it would be very interesting for someone to revisit and reassess
the workings there ...
Good luck with the dissertation.
John Pickin