>I have just been undertaking a geophysical (ground resistivity twin-
>electrode survey with multiple electrode spacings) survey of a lead
>mine site. We have located what we believe to have been an engine
>house (late C18 or early C19). I am trying to find a source on the
>plans of engine houses of this date at ground and foundation level.

Tim,

The engine would be a vertical cylinder Boulton and Watt, possibly a
Newcomen if near the coalfield. Whichever type, there would be no standard
layout although some features would be common to all engine sites. The
'Engine House Assessment', published by Cornwall Archaeological Unit in
1991, is the only attempt towards a compilation of the evidence for what
became the 'Cornish' engine, including typical layouts, but that does focus
on engines from the mid to late 19th century.  There are plans for some
early 19th c. Neath Abbey engines in the South Glamorgan Record Office,
Cardiff (possibly transfered to West Glamorgan - check first), but I'm not
sure if they include site plans.

To the best of my knowledge, the only geophysical survey of a vertical
cylinder engine layout, mid 19th century with structures still standing, is
that carried out at Tankardstown in Co. Waterford by Kevin Barton, NUI
Galway - e-address to follow off list.

Peter

Peter Claughton, Blaenpant Morfil, Rosebush, Clynderwen,
Pembrokeshire, Wales  SA66 7RE.
Tel. 01437 532578; Fax. 01437 532921; Mobile 07831 427599

University of Exeter - School of Historical, Political and Sociological Studies
(Centre for South Western Historical Studies)
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Co-owner - mining-history e-mail discussion list.
See http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/mining-history/  for details.

Mining History Pages - http://www.exeter.ac.uk/~pfclaugh/mhinf/