> How many of us, I wonder, can remember the days when the gasometer
> dominated the skyline?

And you received two images on your tv screen when gas pressure
was high because the signal "bounced"...

> When every town had its gas works and when streets
> were lit by gas which had to be lit at night and extinguished in the morning
> by a man who rode round on his bicycle.

Were switched off at 22.00hrs in my old home town.

>  When gas was the means of lighting the house,

When I moved into my mainly unmodernised Victorian house in 1979,
the bathroom had a gas mantle in situ. Because I was planning on
redesigning the bathroom and enlarging it, there was no electric
light in there for a while so I used the gas. The house got "the
electric in 1934 (the newspaper in amongst all the bits of cable
under the floor are of that date) but for some reason the gas was
left in the bathroom.
I had forgotten what a nice soft light it is, much nicer than the
harsh electric lights.
It brought back memories of school and the way the number of kids
needing glasses shot up when electric replaced gas lights.

It's a bit of a shock sometimes to realise that things that
happened to us "just the other year" are in fact heritage or
history...

Hazel Fleming.