>Has anyone any suggestions for reading on the subject - the area I'm
>interested in is N.E Wales although anything on British Isles will do also
>does anyone know anything about ' ritual' deposits in mines?

Gill,

North-east Wales does not immediately spring to mind when considering
pre-historic mining sites; no large quantities of stone hammers - the usual
marker for a potential Bronze Age site.

Early Mining in the British Isles, eds. Peter and Susan Crew, proceedings of
the Early Mining Workshop at Plas Tan y Bwlch, 17-19 November 1989, is good
starting point and Chapter 10, Wider Perspectives, of Billy O'Brien's book
Mount Gabriel; Bronze Age Mining in Ireland, (Galway, 1994), provides a very
useful overview.

See also Craddock, Paul T. Early Metal Mining and Production, (Edinburgh,
1995), and any articles by Timberlake. Anything by David Gale on stone
hammers would be relevant. For your area of interest a search through
Archaeology in Wales, the journal produced by the CBA in Wales, will turn up
useful information.

Peter

Peter Claughton, Blaenpant Morfil, Rosebush, Clynderwen,
Pembrokeshire, Wales  SA66 7RE.
Tel. 01437 532578; Fax. 01437 532921; Mobile 07831 427599

University of Exeter - School of Historical, Political and Sociological Studies
(Centre for South Western Historical Studies)
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Co-owner - mining-history e-mail discussion list.
See http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/mining-history/  for details.

Mining History Pages - http://www.exeter.ac.uk/~pfclaugh/mhinf/