Sad as it may seem that Blenkinsopp Drift Mine in Greenhead,
Northumbria is to close it is even sadder to think that all remains will
disappear forever. Bryon pit some 200 meters from Blenkinsopp with
its beautifully stone crafted archway was disgracefully bulldozed over
without anyone's knowledge. I am sure a iron gate at the drift entrance
would of sufficed (it was blocked up so far into the drift as well) and
would of stopped children using it. Alas any knowledge that a pit was
there is the hauler beds that supplied the mine. So what of
Blenkinsopp ? It too has a Stone crafted drift and has a stone
displaying 1842 over it. A lot of men and history has passed beneath
that archway and  needs to be preserved somehow but as the land is
just leased and the land owner is wanting it all pulled down and
landscaped what chance have we got ? Is there anything possible to
try and save it. Please let me know