 Margaret, I would tend to look at post-modernist
theories, which allow for issues of complexity and
uncertainty. It seems to me that birth is a perfect
example of a complex phenomenon, and so it doesnt fit
into traditional simplistic theories about the
mechanistic workings of the body. You may also look at
some of classic feminist writings in this area - Emily
Martin, The woman in the body, Anne Oakley, the
captured womb, for some feminist theorising in tis
area. If you want more information in this area, let
me know (best at work, on [log in to unmask])

Best wishes

soo

--- Jane Sandall <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > I
have been asked to forward this query to the list.