Sue/Denis/Mags

Sue, you raise a very interesting question and Denis has, as usual, provided
an insightful reply.

I am aware of some writers who argue that the 'quality' of qualitative
research cannot be assessed through prescriptive formulas or protocols while
others argue for a more rigorous use and publication of procedures to ensure
reliability and validity of qualitative research, which may go some way
toward the development of a structured approach to judging rigour within
these studies.  Personally and at the risk of heresy, I fall into the latter
category and would suggest that there is often less attention paid to rigour
in qualitative studies to the point where it is almost seen as less
important.  If we want to advance the 'humanist imperative' (Streubert and
Carpenter's title) then serious consideration should be given to advancing
interpretative research not only on the basis of it's contribution to
knowledge but also on the basis of it's methodological rigour.

I know the below  text has been referenced before on the list but it does
provide a review of 'frameworks' with appraisal criteria for qualitative
research.

Oakley A. (2000) Experiments in knowing: gender and method in social
sciences. Polity Press: Cambridge

I also have the following reference but have yet to get the article

Popay J, Rogers A, Williams G. (1998) Rationale and standards in the
systematic review of qualitative literature in health services research.
Qualitative Health Research, 341-351.

Declan

Declan Devane,
Lecturer/Course Co-ordinator,
MSc in Nursing/MSc in Midwifery,
School of Nursing and Midwifery Studies,
University of Dublin Trinity College,
Trinity Centre for Health Sciences Education,
St. James's Hospital,
Dublin 8.
Tel: +353 1 608 2694
Fax: +353 1 4732984