Hello all,

A demoralised breast feeding co-ordinator came to me for advice today.  She
has been asked to grade the level of evidence which support her latest 3
policies -skin to skin, hypoglycaemia and bottle feeding.

This brought an issue to a head for me - especially as we are also all busily
developing midwifery guidelines for antenatal and intrapartum care.

I would be grateful to hear your opinions on grading midwifery research,
especially when much of it is qualitative and, in most situations, not
appropriate for RCTs.  I do feel that many of us working within large NHS
trusts will be increasingly faced with this issue especially when dealing
with such bodies as CNST (clinical negligence scheme for trusts) and others.

I would be grateful for some advice or directions to useful literature.

Best wishes

Sue Dennett