Hi Jan
I am interested in submitting my workshop paper " Holistic Pregnancy Care"
from the 2001 ACMI National Conference. I was asked to present the workshop
3 times at the conference due to delegates demand. I also presented at the
2001 NACE conference in Surfers Paradise. I had originally written the paper
in essay form and then converted it into a workshop.

Abstract
I would like to present my conceptional midwifery model of pregnancy. This
model is based on 2 concepts; holistic care and life or universal energy.
Holistic care of the whole human body stretches and deepens our focus to
include the nature of human experience. A holisitic model incorporates
physical and emotional needs while paying attention to a woman's attitudes
and feelings which increases her ability to utilise physical care, change
habits adn enrich her self-image and beliefs.

The second concept is universal energy, which is senn as the basic
constituent and source of all life. Over 5,000 years ago, ancient Indian
tradition speaks of Prana, the Chinese since the 3rd mellennium BC call it
Chi. The energy centres in the human body are known as chakras. The seven
major chakras are situated in line with the spine from the coccyx to the top
of the head and relate to various physical and emotional characteristics.

The key elements of the model as they relate to the chakra system will be
reviewed with the woman and her unborn baby as the pivotal centre wheel and
how the midwife through effective communication can provide holistic care.

Lyndall Mollart
CNC Antenatal Services
Central Coast Health
Gosford. NSW.2250