Dear colleagues,

The internet was once created in an effort to combine the scattered
knowledge of a community for the benefit of all. Thanks to a new
internet tool and with the help of many colleagues (see below), we are
now able to offer at the HYLE website a searchable online bibliography
of the HISTORY & PHILOSOPHY OF CHEMISTRY that combines numerous thematic
bibliographies. The database presently includes some 5,800 titles and is
rapidly growing as further thematic bibliographies are being added.
Access is for free at:
        http://www.hyle.org/service/biblio.htm

I hope you find this service useful and would be happy if you forward
this message to everybody who might be interested. If you are
maintaining a website, you are invited to provide your visitors direct
access to the database by placing a search box on your page. Please do
not hesitate to contact me for technical support or comments.

This project would not be possible without all those who made their
bibliographic data available, or are in the process of doing so. Special
thanks to:

Bernadette Bensaude-Vincent, Marco Beretta & Andrea Scotti (Panopticon
Lavoisier), William Brock, Kostas Gavroglu, Ernst Homburg, Michael
Hunter (Robert Boyle Project), Carsten Reinhardt, Hans-Werner Schuett,
Ana Simoes, and Anthony Travis.

We solicit further thematic bibliographies that reasonably complement
the ones already included (see below). If you have such a bibliography
on file that you would like to share with colleagues, please contact me.

Yours sincerely,
        Joachim Schummer (Editor of HYLE)

 BIBLIOGRAPHIES INCLUDED IN THE DATABASE THUS FAR

PHILOSOPHY OF CHEMISTRY (incl. history of ideas, theories, & methods)

- HYLE Bibliography "Philosophy of Chemistry, 1991-": 514 titles.

- "Chemistry and Humanities, -1990": 1,262 titles.

- "Philosophy of Chemistry in the GDR, 1954-1990": 262 titles.

TOPICS AND BRANCHES IN THE HISTORY OF CHEMISTRY

- "History of Alchemy, -2000" : 901 titles, compiled by Hans-Werner
Schuett.

- "Chemical Education and Profession in Germany (1790-1850), -1993": 788
titles, compiled by Ernst Homburg.

- "19th-Century Chemistry, -1999": 184 titles, compiled by Bernadette
Bensaude-Vincent.

ON INDIVIDUAL CHEMISTS

- "Bibliography on Boyle, 1940-" : 455 titles, compiled by Robert Boyle
Project (Michael Hunter).

- "Bibliography on Lavoisier, 1794-": 1,179 titles, compiled by -
Panopticon Lavoisier (Marco Beretta).

- "Bibliography on Liebig, -1997": 242 titles, compiled by William Brock

BIBLIOGRAPHIES IN PREPARATION

- "20th-Century Theoretical Chemistry", by Kostas Gavroglu & Ana Simoes

- "20th-Century Chemical Instrumentation, -2002", by Carsten Reinhardt

- "Chemistry and the Environment, -2002", by Anthony Travis

        Dr. Joachim Schummer
        Institute of Philosophy, University of Karlsruhe
        D-76128 Karlsruhe, GERMANY

        Editor of
        HYLE: International Journal for Philosophy of Chemistry
        http://www.hyle.org/
        Fax: +49-69-791235861