The MeCCSA Executive Committee has sought clarification about the place of
our field in the Learning and Teaching Support Network, as we were a little
concerned at overlaps in responsibility between initially two, and latterly
three,Centres. The following letter on behalf of the Centres, from the
Director of C-SAP at Birmingham, helps clarify the position.Members may
also wish to know that the Committee is seeking support from the Network on
behalf of the field for teaching and learning initiatives.

Professor Peter Golding
MeCCSA
Dept of Social Sciences
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Leics LE11 3TU

Dear Peter Golding,

Thank you for your letter of 20 February requesting clarification of LTSN’s
mapping of subjects.

Initially, LTSN set up two subject centres covering the following subjects:

ADC at Brighton University covering Art, Design and Communication (the
latter includes Media)

C-SAP at Birmingham University covering Sociology, Anthropology and
Politics.

These two subject centres realised that cultural studies had been left off
the map and were successful in a joint bid for project funding from the
LTSN Executive to extend their services to Cultural Studies. The English
Subject Centre has now joined in, so the three subject centres are
collaborating on Cultural Studies.

This cultural studies project will be carried out by two specially
appointed academic coordinators, Angela Devas at ADC, and someone (part
time) to be appointed on 8 March at C-SAP. Siobham Holland is representing
English.

The project has three elements:

1. Establishing a network of departmental contacts in cultural studies
2. Developing learning and teaching resources on cultural studies on
our websites
3. Project funding.

The three subject centres are meeting on 11 March to establish divisions of
labour and lines of communication regarding the first two above.

I hope this clarifies the situation. I would be grateful if you would
circulate this information to your members. I would like to send you a
further update in due course.

Yours sincerely,

Sue Wright
Director of C-SAP