Iain,
Even if I had a team of 6 I could not keep up with the rate of content
production by our staff, thus, I was forced to buy into the 'content
managment system' thing very early. The cost of that was around 80k all in,
and the cost of 3 FT staff per year is almost this much, so does follow
Jakob's rule. However, that does not include the time and effort put in by
26 active contributors and another 20 less active ones via the CMS (the core
team does not need to publish everything because page templates are
controlled by the CMS and each area of the Museum has a publishing
'editor'). Cash cost is not a very realistic way of measuring the price of a
website, as content is king and that requires concerted effort and 'buy in'
from curators etc which is 'costly' to the museum. Templates are of course
essential for any scaling of a website, but as above, even publishing must
be devolved beyond a certain size of operation. I do realise we are pretty
unique, but you could look at a local government offices for the same scale,
and perhaps solutions that local govt. Museums could take advantage of, or
even champion.
cheers
Mike