Dear Members,

I have already replied directly to Wendy but, prompted by Stuart's
absolutely pertinent comments, I thought that I should "go public" about a
BBSRC/EPSRC Bio-Informatics grant that we gained in partnership with
University of Essex.

This was precisely about how to digitise information on typewritten record
cards which had handwritten annotations. Whilst not being able to totally
automate the process, the project has achieved considerable success in
tackling some of the problems identified by Stuart.

See: http://www.essex.ac.uk/ese/research/vasa/viadocs/ The NHM contact is
Malcolm Scoble [log in to unmask]

Cheers,

Charles Hussey,

Department of Information and Library Systems,
The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road,
London SW7 5BD
United Kingdom