> retyping.  So, I'm afraid I must agree with everybody else that OCR is
> unlikely to be a viable solution.

Amen. Where accuracy is important you spend so much time proofing you might
as well have keyed it in in the first place. I've tried getting partially
around the problem by pasting the data into MS Word and using my customized
spell checker, but it's debatable whether it's worth it. Very expensive
scanners with very expensive OCR software can work wonders - see the amazing
searchable texts produced by Rod Neep at Archive CD Books
(http://www.archivecdbooks.com) - but a bit beyond my meagre resources.

For hand-written stuff we've rolled our own Access database which combines
automated links to an original digital photo of the source alongside its
databased transcription. This way you get a searchable text and access to
the original in case of doubtful readings or confirmation of handwriting,
ink colour, etc. (which might be useful for one reason or another). We've
used this very successfully to transcribe all the hand-written minutes of
our museum committees back to 1867.

> Incidentally, your thoughts might now turn to voice
> recognition.

Your thoughts might also turn to reading the cards to a competent keyboard
operator! I've used this from time to time with a very fast typist and found
that the combination of my understanding of the data with their keyboard
skills has got through the data very quickly. Expensive though (as there's
two of you doing the job) but it gets it done if you're in a hurry!

Mick

Michael P. Cooper
Registrar, Nottingham Museums & Galleries
Direct Line: 0115 915 3671
Fax: 0115 915 3601