Apologies for cross-posting:

Hi all,

Many thanks to all who have (so far) tested the site.  For those of you who
have not yet tried it out, there is still time to do so on
www.english-heritage.org.uk/viewfinder. We have had several email responses
from list members, in addition to the comments from heritage professionals
and members of the public (as far away as Canada) who filled in the feedback
form, and we are hoping to make this feedback available to the list if there
is general interest in the process.

The comments have been very helpful and we have already made some changes in
response to frequently occurring problems. Thanks in particular to Peter
Gray who took the trouble to test the site very thoroughly with a number of
different browsers. Unfortunately we have no jurisdiction over the main
English Heritage website, but will forward relevant comments to the web
team. We will be looking in detail at the issues raised in relation to the
ViewFinder site itself.  We are working on replacing with server-side
processing some of the JavaScript which may be confusing older browsers, but
are generally happy with the way the application is working for most
browsers in common use (e.g. Netscape Communicator 4.7 to 7.0). Less than 2%
of those who filled in the feedback form were IE4 users, and their comments
were very positive.

We do recognise the requirement to cater for older browsers, but this does
raise the question of exactly how far back we need to go.  NOF technical
requirements are vague on this : ". Projects must be accessible by a variety
of browsers, hardware systems, automated programs and end-users. ".  Can I
ask whether other projects have addressed this yet?

Regarding Peter's comments below, the NOF-Digi requirements for access
(5.1.1) are as follows:
"Text-based content must be delivered as XHTML 1.0 or HTML 4 in most cases,
though the use of XML with other DTDs may sometimes be appropriate."
The quoted standards in 2.1.1 relate to creation and storage, and we are not
storing our content in HTML.  Would anyone from NOF care to clarify?

Best Regards

Daphne Charles
Senior Developer
English Heritage