Let's hear more from colleagues about student membership and the things which CILIP can do to encourage and assist students. As a Past President of the erstwhile Association of Assitant Librarians (now CDG) at a time when the AAL had a very active student membership this is an area of activity that I would like to see revitalised. Bob.
-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Smith [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 08 August 2002 09:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Student Membership

Nicola wrote:
"Another comment comes from a recent e-mail, I received from a mailing list for people on or going on a graduate programme the topic of  funding was rised. I am not going to go down the road of funding, but I think that Cilip should give more information about the various types of funding and what happens when you don't get it. After all it the student is committed they need to have all of this information - maybe the website could take some of this into consideration."

One thing CILIP might try, would be talking to AHRB (Panel 6) to see whether funding decisions can be announced earlier. Most postgrads entering these courses are already working, rather than waiting for degree results, so AHRB might be able to tell them whether they will be funded, during April rather than August?

Adrian Smith
Headingley