From: Harrison, Linda [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 08 August 2002 14:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Chartership

Time to stick my head above the parapet....

I raised a question at the recent Health Libraries conference in Edinburgh and I understand that it is being taken further

We still see the LA Record Vacancies supplement advertising Health and NHS qualified and chartered librarian or Library Manager posts at Scale 4 and 5 (Admin and Clerical) these go against the old LA and I guess the new CILIP's own guidelines. This has been going on for at least the last 10 years.

I am in a fortunate position where at last I am paid for the position I hold. Many NHS librarians are not.

Could CILIP tell as why we should charter at all and indeed retain our charters, if the organisation is defying its own recommendations and going purely for the advertising revenue?  I SHOULD ADD,I have retained my chartership Status on the basis that something good may come out of it in the end.

Linda Harrison