Apologies for cross-posting...

 ******** A NEW LOOK FOR THE NEW SEASON ********

As the new term begins in universities and colleges across the
country, we are pleased to announce that we have upgraded all of
the freely available tutorials in the RDN Virtual Training Suite to take
advantage of new features, functionality and design created for 11 new FE
tutorials launched in June this year.  See: http://www.vts.rdn.ac.uk

site and workshops) our tutorials (that teach Internet information
skills in a range of subject areas) now have the following:

- A NEW LOOK AND FEEL - incorporating the new Web design
and graphics created for the FE tutorials

- NEW LINKS BASKET FUNCTIONALITY -  you can now view,
print or email yourself your selected links; add a comments box to
make notes about the links you've saved or turn the Links Basket
off to see live links in the tutorial

- ENHANCED PRINT-FRIENDLY OPTION - providing a print-
optimised version of the tutorial pages, designed to make high
quality printouts suitable for handouts.

- IMPROVED ACCESSIBILITY - in line with W3C recommendations

- A NEW SYSTEM FOR UPDATING TUTORIALS - a Web-based
editing system now enables the RDN hubs to regularly update
tutorials remotely via the Web

There are now 9 tutorials covering Internet information skills for the
health and life sciences:

Internet for Agriculture, Food and Forestry
Internet for Allied Health
Internet BioResearcher
Internet Medic
Internet for Nature
Internet for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting
Internet Pharmacist
Internet Vet
Internet for Health and Social care (FE)

A more detailed insight into our new technical architecture can be
found in a paper written by Paul Smith, VTS Web Manager, which
he will be presenting at the ASCILITE 2002 conference.  A pre-print
is available at http://www.vts.rdn.ac.uk/reports/ascilite02.html

The Virtual Training Suite team will now be focusing their efforts on
a new project, funded under the JISC Exchange for Learning
programme. This work include creation of five new FE tutorials;
case-studies modelling effective use of this resource in teaching;
and development work that explores the potential of the use of
these tutorials within Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs).

If you would like to be informed of new developments as they
emerge please send an email to this address asking to be added
to our mailing list:   <[log in to unmask]>

Emma Place, Service Manager,  RDN Virtual Training Suite
Institute for
Learning and Research Technology University of Bristol, 8-10
Berkeley
Square Bristol BS8 1TN Tel: 0117 928 7183  Email:

Lisa Gray, BIOME Service Manager (Acting)
BIOME
Greenfield Medical Library
Queens Medical Centre
Nottingham, NG7 2UH